Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pottery Barn Inspired Wall Art

This red and khaki wall was so 2001.

I was over it and ready for something lighter and brighter. The giant star had to go too.

My hubby didn't want me to change it. I think he was just afraid I would enlist him to help.

But alas, I did it while he was at work and he never had to lift a finger. You're welcome, my love!


With the red gone {it took 4 coats...jeez}, the room all crisp and white and the star out of the house {what the heck am I going to do with it anyway}, I had to figure out what to do with that space.

In our garage there was a giant piece (35" x 48") of lue-on (loo-on? lew-in? lew-on...I have no idea how to spell it and neither does spell check).  

It was the perfect size and with a few Miner adjustments I knew it would be perfect for the wall.

I got my inspiration from Pottery Barn.  Don't we all?  I saw 3 vintage flashcards that were framed and cost $100 for the set. (Thanks, Beckie for finding this image).



Anyway, the little painters and I got to work.  {I apologize...I don't have any pictures of the process}.

We primed it. 

We painted the entire piece white.  

Then I taped all the way around about an inch in, to make a frame that we painted black.

After that I got to have some real fun with my Cricut and some sticky vinyl.  The numbers are 12" in height.

And voila...a giant flashcard for my wall!  

Can you tell we are teachers here? The hubs just happens to be a math teacher. He rocks!


Hey! Wait a minute. Take a close look at the picture. 

Do you see what I see? I made this before I painted the walls. Sorry for that little white lie at the beginning of this post.  

My brain isn't what it used to be when I was 34! 

You will forgive me, won't you? I would still like to be friends.



OK, so I finally got the room painted and hung our totally awesome flashcard up. I am completely and utterly  in love with it.


Decorating eye candy...no calories!


Math facts, anyone?













Let's be friends: Facebook, Pinterest, Google+, Twitter




Where I am partying today...




16 comments:

  1. It is spelled luan...only dad would know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dad! I was wondering about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Such a cool piece. (and how cute that your dad reads your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey,
    Thank you for stopping by! It is one of my favorite crafts ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun! The lighter color is refreshing, I'm sure. (Visiting via Organize and Decorate Everything)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! It is so refreshing! Light and airy in here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy! It is one of my favorite things in my house!

      Delete
  8. Hi trina, that looks fabulous. Love your couch too. Thanks for sharing. Could you please add my link along with the others...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I can add your link there. Just so you know for the future, I have your link on my sidebar under Bloggity Blog Parties where it stays all the time, because I love your blog so much!

      Delete
  9. This is a great look. Mod and bold. Great use of scrap wood! I posted "dolled up" to Debbie's Newbie party. Shared a Facebook like to ya! Follow me too and share a fb like at www.sewsweetvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trina, I see you like my fb already:) I'm such a goof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! Thanks for the compliment! It is by far my favorite thing in the house (besides the images of my sons).

      Delete
  11. Fabulous! ! What is the color of your walls? I love this hack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My walls are white on the bottom and khaki on top. I will have to look up the exact color for you later. I have it at home.

      Delete
  12. Looks great! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party

    ReplyDelete

Hello, fabulous friends!

Pin It button on image hover