Monday, August 26, 2013

How to Make Hanging Book Shelves

(Made by my dad)

{A rerun with new images}



My dad is a master wood worker. It's true.  He would probably say otherwise, but he's just being modest.

He converted his garage into a wood shop years ago 
and when he isn't at the golf course you can usually find him in there.

He has made breathtaking pieces of furniture and we are lucky enough to own some ourselves.

Kinda feels like we won the lottery...
yay, free furniture!




Anyway, a few months ago dad was cutting some wood on the table saw.

After 22 years of doing this, it was just another ordinary day of woodworking.

But that day ended differently. very. differently.

Although the blade of the saw is only just visible above the table, for some reason, 
as he pushed the wood through his thumb got in the way.

What?!? His thumb?!? NO!!!







The blade cut his thumb, but don't worry...

it is fully functioning and still attached to his hand.

This is a blessed moment of luck, I believe. A warning to us all...power tools do not discriminate.

So what does this have to do with these book shelves, you might be asking?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

But let's face it...having hanging book shelves are way better than a hanging thumb.




Now hold onto your fingers!

Here's how to make the book shelves...






Thanks for making these, Dad!

We give this project....two thumbs up!




I'm hanging out over at:












11 comments:

  1. Your Dad is a cool guy (and great neighbor!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those turned out so cute! You are totally lucky to have such an amazing Dad!

    Have a blessed day!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karianne! He doesn't sing like your dad, but he sure can make a mean table or bookshelf.

      Delete
  3. I love these shelves. I think I'll make some myself, unless I can borrow your Dad to do it for me.

    I featured them on my blog today: http://southpawcrafts.blogspot.com/2013/04/party-features-wall-organization.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret! You could borrow my dad, but I am not sure how much work you will get out of him...it's golf season ;)

      Delete
  4. These look great! Kudos to Dad!- love how the books almost become wall art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christina! That is a great way to see it!

      Delete
  5. The shelves are great, and I'm so glad your Dad still has his thumb. Yikes! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Laurie! We're glad he does too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! And super easy, too!

    Thanks for the inspiration!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so cute, KariAnne! You commented on this the first time I posted this too.

      You must really like them ;)

      Delete

Hello, fabulous friends!

Pin It button on image hover