Thursday, April 18, 2013

My Big Pink Huffy

How To: Twine Mason Jar Candle Holders





My first big girl bike was totally radical.

It was circa 1982, which made me about 6 years old.

I fell in love the first time I laid eyes on it.

That Huffy bike was all pink with a really fat cushy seat {also pink}. 

And the kickstand made this really great clicking sound when it went down.

{I can still hear it…music to my ears}.

And the wheels…none of those skinny 10 speed wheels for me....they were big and fat.

And who needs to change speeds when you have baseball cards in the spokes?

Although, I think those came later when I was older and wiser about all things bike riding.






How to add twine to a mason jar

What you need:

Mason Jar
Twine 
Hot Glue Gun
5 minutes




Steps:

Start hot gluing the twine in the “back”…where the threaded part of the jar begins

Move around the jar gluing a little twine at a time, so the glue doesn't cool too quickly

Go all the way around until the entire threaded part of the jar is covered

{NOTE: I should have used a fatter twine or maybe I should go around the jar again 
with another piece to fill in the spaces.  

But just like taking a big pink Huffy for it’s first spin is tricky,
this was my first time making these, so I was bound to tip over}

Cut the twine off the roll

Put a little dab of hot glue on the end of the twine to stick it to the jar

Add candle





 I will never forget the day my training wheels came off my bike. 

Since we lived a block from the elementary school my mom, dad, brother and I headed over there…

...to take it for its first big girl ride.

When we got to the school, I looked out at the spot where we played kickball at recess.

It was so big.

 I was so small.
.
As I sat on my big cushy pink bike my dad held the back of the seat and instructed me to start pedaling.

I do not know when he let go (I highly doubt it was on the first try), but he did eventually and I kept pedaling…



...the wind in my face…totally free…totally radical!


Enjoy the ride!


{Trina}



You can find me here:

1 comment:

  1. So sweet!

    I would love for you to link up at the Mommy Archive - we're focused on mason jar crafts and ideas this week, Alice @ Mums Make Lists

    ReplyDelete

Hello, fabulous friends!

Pin It button on image hover