Saturday, March 23, 2013

Egg & Oil Free Cake 




Apparently, Mother Nature is having a good laugh at us right now. 

It is the fourth day of Spring and yet we are looking out our windows at a foot of snow on the ground.

And it was new snow this week.

We had no snow last week at the end of the winter. 

It doesn't surprise me though...we do live in upstate New York.



That doesn't stop the birds from chirping merrily away though…going about their Spring business.

They are making nests, laying eggs, singing pretty little melodies.

The sun is shining earlier in the morning and the sky is bluer than last month.

My feet are screaming, "Bring on the flip flops!"

And nothing would make me happier than to open the windows to let in the smell of fresh, clean Spring air.

But alas, we are going to have a cold Easter with no green grass to search for eggs in.




And since there will be no outdoor egg hunts this year…

I thought that the cake I made today shouldn't have any eggs in it either.

How do you like that for logic?

It is a super easy substitution too. I am not even making it from scratch. {GASP}

Really. Your jaw will hit the table.

You will be like…why didn't I think of that?



How to Make a Boxed Cake without Eggs and Oil


Ingredients (with a few Miner adjustments):

1 Super Moist Cake Mix
1 cup of Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1 cup of Water
1 canister of Frosting

Steps:

Mix the cake according to the box directions, except instead of eggs and oil substitute the yogurt.

When it is all mixed it will be thick like mousse.

Bake according to the box directions.

Let cool, then frost.

Easy, right?


Calorie Count

Chocolate cake: 170
1 Cup Greek Yogurt: 190

Total for the whole cake (without frosting): 360    
1.5 tbsp frosting per cupcake: 105      

{I should have known the frosting is where all the calories come from...but it's the best part}

Per cupcake w/ frosting {this made 24}: 120 


And they were so yummy! Who needs eggs, anyway?

Happy Easter!

{Trina}





You can find me here:


DIY Show Off

4 comments:

  1. Oh yum Trina - what a great idea! Sorry about the snow :-( not fun when you're waiting for sun. xxx Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of yogurt instead of eggs and oil. I did recently try applesause in lieu of eggs for pancakes...they were awesomesause!! I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that was yummo! You can also substitute applesauce for eggs in brownies. However, I would not put yogurt in brownies....I tried it (yuck)!

      Delete

Hello, fabulous friends!

Pin It button on image hover